Monday, August 07, 2006

an open letter to Richard Stephen Crosby...

Dear Bubba,

My name is Kathryn. My mom and I have been Yankee fans since...well...forever, actually. You immediately found a place in our hearts when you surfaced one of your many times...in 2004...followed by 2005.

We researched your playing history...with Rice...and the Dodgers...and we know the talent you possess.

If you retain nothing else from this email, please let this truth sink in: you are an invaluable asset to any team fotunate enough to have you.

You play with passion and the heart of a hero. Determination and persistence radiates from each performance...and your future will be spectacular. Do not question these changes you're facing...I have every confidence that the path you're on will lead to a success you have not been able to enjoy...and this move you're facing will enable your talent and passion to be utilized. I smile at that fact...you should, too.

September 19, 2005. I will never forget the walk off homerun...I watched you up at bat...knowing you could completely turn that game around...and the moment you did...it was magic! My greatest hopes at that moment, realized! I immediately tried to call my mother, who had been also watching, to share the joy...but her line was busy...and she doesn't have call waiting. So...what did I do? I called the Operator and requested an emergency interuption! When asked my name, I replied (so my mother would know YOU did something FABULOUS, and we need to scream and shout!) "Kathryn CROSBY."

She had also seen your play and was on the phone w/ a neighbor TRYING to get off the phone...and immediately called me back in laughter and tears.

She has endured many health problems...but one thing that puts a smile on her face is the idea she entertains that "we discovered Bubba...we loved him from the beginning!" And it's true in a small sense...every game we have attended...we shout our praise for you...and there was a time when the opposing team's fans around us would ask, "Who are you shouting for?" And later they would say, "I'm glad we sat next to you guys, now we know who that Bubba Crosby guy is with the Yankees..."

You are a diamond in the rough. Your playing does lift the hearts and spirits within fans. Your persistence and determination speaks volumes to many lives, young and old.

And...if we had been on the subway the night of your walk off homerun...we would have recognized you.

Wherever you go...our hearts and prayers are with you. Know this. 2 Total strangers in California have had their lives imprinted by your contribution. We are grateful and we look forward to cheering you on in the future.

And we will...

Very sincerely yours,

Kathryn